Skip to main content

Integrating Kids and Life: Fishing and other Maneuvers

As six year-old No. Two and I lay in our tent dozing off I heard gunfire in the distance.  At first it was just a shot or two.  I convinced myself that it it in fact wasn’t gunfire; clearly it was just the state park’s caretaker plopping things into the bed of a pickup truck.  Afew more bangs burst out from a little further up the vallery from where our tent perched overlooking the Pecos River.  I wondered what goofballs were out shooting at dusk, but frankly since we were in New Mexico, it wasn’t really that uncommon of a thing.  I closed my eyes again only to hear bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang a few moments later.  Not many people in NM have automatic weapons, so that was a bit odd.  Still, the sounds were coming from around the bend of the valley so I wasn’t too concerned.  I watched the moon of our tent’s mesh roof trying to slide back into sleep.



Then—Two and I both heard it this time—an ominous roar rolled in from the opposite direction down the valley.  The ground beneath us began to vibrate just a bit.  Finally, it occurred to me what was going on, I didn’t want him to miss it so I hollered at Two,  “Get up!  Watch!”

“What!?” Two popped up in his mummy bag.

“Look up, and watch!” I yelled over the now booming noise.

Suddenly, there it was.  The nose of an A10 zoomed toward us.  As the plane screamed by, not more than 50 feet overhead—now literally shaking the ground beneath our sleeping bags—we could see it’s silhouette studded with a few dim red flying lights, trailed by dull red glow of its jet engines’ tail pipes.  A moment later, it was gone; headed up the valley towards the earlier gunfire.  We’d just had a front and center seat for the New Mexico National Guard's night-fighting maneuver drills.  Both of us totally thrilled with the impromptu flyover, we chattered on about it for a bit before finally cuddling back in to our bags, slowly drifting off to sleep under the almost full moon.

The whole experience was grand!  Earlier in the day Two even caught a rainbow trout out of the Pecos.  And, I wouldn’t have been able to experience any of it, at least not nearly as fully, if I hadn’t thought to bring Two along with me on the trip.  I might not have even been in that part of the state if Two and I hadn’t taken the time to visit a family friend who made blankets for Two and each of his siblings when they were born.  I probably wouldn’t have gone fishing, and even if I’d seen the plane, who would I have shared it with?

I’m incredibly lucky to have a job that allows me to work remotely as long as I have an internet connection, so lots of the situations the kids and I have found ourselves in have wound up like this most recent trip.  But, even when the kids and I hangout around town, the time I take to figure out how to involve the gang is always worth it.

Back when I did laboratory work, I’d pick the kids up out of daycare on my way to the pipe supply store.  The first time we went, I thought it would be just something interesting for them to see, something new.  When we got there though, it turned out they had free popcorn and bar stools.  Three year-old No. One and (then) 1 year-old No. Two—Three hadn’t arrived yet--- sat around happily munching popcorn while I took care of the lab’s piping business.  Again, to perhaps overuse a phrase, it was grand!

I see a lot of questions on parenting forums about what a kid of this or that age will enjoy doing.  My answer is always: they’ll enjoy doing everything you do.  What I rarely think to add though is that everytime I’m able to take the kids, there’s a huge perk in it for me too: I have way more fun!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Cowbell! Record Production using Google Forms and Charts

First, the what : This article shows how to embed a new Google Form into any web page. To demonstrate ths, a chart and form that allow blog readers to control the recording levels of each instrument in Blue Oyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is used. HTML code from the Google version of the form included on this page is shown and the parts that need to be modified are highlighted. Next, the why : Google recently released an e-mail form feature that allows users of Google Documents to create an e-mail a form that automatically places each user's input into an associated spreadsheet. As it turns out, with a little bit of work, the forms that are created by Google Docs can be embedded into any web page. Now, The Goods: Click on the instrument you want turned up, click the submit button and then refresh the page. Through the magic of Google Forms as soon as you click on submit and refresh this web page, the data chart will update immediately. Turn up the:

Cool Math Tricks: Deriving the Divergence, (Del or Nabla) into New (Cylindrical) Coordinate Systems

Now available as a Kindle ebook for 99 cents ! Get a spiffy ebook, and fund more physics The following is a pretty lengthy procedure, but converting the divergence, (nabla, del) operator between coordinate systems comes up pretty often. While there are tables for converting between common coordinate systems , there seem to be fewer explanations of the procedure for deriving the conversion, so here goes! What do we actually want? To convert the Cartesian nabla to the nabla for another coordinate system, say… cylindrical coordinates. What we’ll need: 1. The Cartesian Nabla: 2. A set of equations relating the Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates: 3. A set of equations relating the Cartesian basis vectors to the basis vectors of the new coordinate system: How to do it: Use the chain rule for differentiation to convert the derivatives with respect to the Cartesian variables to derivatives with respect to the cylindrical variables. The chain

The Valentine's Day Magnetic Monopole

There's an assymetry to the form of the two Maxwell's equations shown in picture 1.  While the divergence of the electric field is proportional to the electric charge density at a given point, the divergence of the magnetic field is equal to zero.  This is typically explained in the following way.  While we know that electrons, the fundamental electric charge carriers exist, evidence seems to indicate that magnetic monopoles, the particles that would carry magnetic 'charge', either don't exist, or, the energies required to create them are so high that they are exceedingly rare.  That doesn't stop us from looking for them though! Keeping with the theme of Fairbank[1] and his academic progeny over the semester break, today's post is about the discovery of a magnetic monopole candidate event by one of the Fairbank's graduate students, Blas Cabrera[2].  Cabrera was utilizing a loop type of magnetic monopole detector.  Its operation is in concept very sim