Sunday, February 10, 2008

British UFO Sightings Increase... Sort Of

A recent article from Telegraph.co.uk reached Digg Popularity in record time by reporting that there was a huge rise in British UFO sightings.

Well, sort of...

I'm always ready to believe. But this time the data just didn't pan out. The well written, interesting, article used data released by the British Ministry of Defence.

I decided to download the data to do my own analysis. I'll be reporting more on the data in the next week, but I'll just start with a graph of the UFO sightings in Great Britain year by year.


As you can see, there's actually been a decrease in sitings since 2005 and a significant decrease compared to 1997.

As additional interesting data comes out, I'll post it here.

Here's the original source data if you want to do your own analysis:
2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | 1997


Digg the Sources:
read more | digg story Huge Rise In British Sightings

read more | digg story UFO Sightings in Britain up 39%

read more | digg story Female Figure on Mars, Canals, and the UFO in Stephenville

2 comments:

Editor, The Independent Reporter said...

Great graph! I downloaded the documents myself and did a number count but never thought of a graph....excellent!

Phil said...

Dear Hamilton,

I am in the process of completing a text book on writing skills for the IELTS exam. This is an English language testing system for students who wish to study at university in the UK or Australia.

I am planning to self-publish and would much appreciate permission to use some statistical data from your website.

The original data comes from the following address (the bar chart):

http://copaseticflow.blogspot.com/2008/02/british-ufo-sightings-increase.html

The diagrams in my book will usually be redrawn before using the data.

Any information used is only for the purpose of helping explain to students how to analyse and write about various kinds of diagram. It is not used in any way as a reflection of the industries/website the material is taken from.

I hope that this request is acceptable to you and will be happy to include the appropriate acknowledgment for your help.
Best regards,

Phil Biggerton