Skip to main content

Waterslides!

A few weeks ago, we went to a friend’s birthday party at a water park.  After we’d gained admission to the park, five year-old No. Two was promptly nowhere to be seen.

“Have you seen Two?” I asked my partner.

“Nope.”

So, off to look I went.  Fortunately, the water park had a rather compact design.  There was the splash area, a full sized pool for swimmers, and those learning to swim, and a collection of seven or so water slides, all fed by the same three story tall set of stairs and platforms.  I knew Two wasn’t in the splash area because that’s where we were.  As I meandered between the big pool and the slides, I caught a flash of Two’s ultra-blonde mop of hair out of the corner of my eye and way up.

In disbelief, I looked up the water slide tower to see if I had really spotted Two.  I had to wait a few moments, but I caught a glimpse of him again.  He was at the entrance to the slides on a platform thirty feet up in the air.  He’d lined up behind the other kids and adults all by himself!  As I watched, Two got to the front of the line, worked with the attendant to make his way to the slide he wanted, and headed down.  After tracing out the slide he was on, I scampered around the periphery of the slide landing pads so I’d be waiting where Two was destined to land.  He came flying out of the slide causing a huge splash, got himself out of the landing trough, and headed straight for me on his way to the line to go again.

“Two!  That rocked!”

“It was a lot of fun!  Wanna go!?”

And so, I found myself headed up to a water slide I would have skipped on my own.  Two showed me the ropes, suggested a slide, and off I went.  It was a blast!  Even if I did spend the rest of the week with pool water dripping out of my sinuses.

I was floored with Two’s independence.  Frankly, this is what I’d been hoping for all these years, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when he actually exercised the independence he’s been adeptly learning.

I like to think my partner and I had something to do with Two’s great success.  We’ve really only ever had one playground rule, “You can do whatever you can figure out how to do without an adults help.”  We have a few additional rules about dealing with adults.  First, “You never ever go with an adult other than us.”  Second, “You treat adults just like you treat everyone else.”  Two arrived at a place that looked like a playground to him with a few adults in charge.  He did what he wanted to do and what he could pull off on his own.  When he got to the adult attendants, since he’s been dealing with adults his whole life, he didn’t see it as an issue.  (He told me later he’d tried to go to the even taller slides, but found out from the attendants that he wasn’t the regulation height yet, so he’d come back down on his own.)  Still, I have no idea how much of all this was due to our efforts towards making the gang independent and how much of it was just Two’s personality.  Either way, I’m tickled pink!  The kid saw something he wanted to do, and just did it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Cowbell! Record Production using Google Forms and Charts

First, the what : This article shows how to embed a new Google Form into any web page. To demonstrate ths, a chart and form that allow blog readers to control the recording levels of each instrument in Blue Oyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" is used. HTML code from the Google version of the form included on this page is shown and the parts that need to be modified are highlighted. Next, the why : Google recently released an e-mail form feature that allows users of Google Documents to create an e-mail a form that automatically places each user's input into an associated spreadsheet. As it turns out, with a little bit of work, the forms that are created by Google Docs can be embedded into any web page. Now, The Goods: Click on the instrument you want turned up, click the submit button and then refresh the page. Through the magic of Google Forms as soon as you click on submit and refresh this web page, the data chart will update immediately. Turn up the:

Cool Math Tricks: Deriving the Divergence, (Del or Nabla) into New (Cylindrical) Coordinate Systems

Now available as a Kindle ebook for 99 cents ! Get a spiffy ebook, and fund more physics The following is a pretty lengthy procedure, but converting the divergence, (nabla, del) operator between coordinate systems comes up pretty often. While there are tables for converting between common coordinate systems , there seem to be fewer explanations of the procedure for deriving the conversion, so here goes! What do we actually want? To convert the Cartesian nabla to the nabla for another coordinate system, say… cylindrical coordinates. What we’ll need: 1. The Cartesian Nabla: 2. A set of equations relating the Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates: 3. A set of equations relating the Cartesian basis vectors to the basis vectors of the new coordinate system: How to do it: Use the chain rule for differentiation to convert the derivatives with respect to the Cartesian variables to derivatives with respect to the cylindrical variables. The chain

The Valentine's Day Magnetic Monopole

There's an assymetry to the form of the two Maxwell's equations shown in picture 1.  While the divergence of the electric field is proportional to the electric charge density at a given point, the divergence of the magnetic field is equal to zero.  This is typically explained in the following way.  While we know that electrons, the fundamental electric charge carriers exist, evidence seems to indicate that magnetic monopoles, the particles that would carry magnetic 'charge', either don't exist, or, the energies required to create them are so high that they are exceedingly rare.  That doesn't stop us from looking for them though! Keeping with the theme of Fairbank[1] and his academic progeny over the semester break, today's post is about the discovery of a magnetic monopole candidate event by one of the Fairbank's graduate students, Blas Cabrera[2].  Cabrera was utilizing a loop type of magnetic monopole detector.  Its operation is in concept very sim